How to Maintain your Home in the Summer
Posted by Garman Group on
Summer is finally in full swing! Extra vacation time, the kids are out of school and all that extra heat can be hard on our homes. “The heat of the sun causes a lot of additional stress on building materials and finishes. Our yards (which we now want to enjoy) have grown in the spring and are now getting less water. Our lifestyles also change in the summer to spending more time outside and trying to keep the building cool inside, (source).” Summer is the perfect time to enjoy and also look after the exterior of your home, as well as your lawn and garden. “It’s also perfect for having that garage door open and utilizing the prolonged daylight to work on any manly projects you’ve had on the backburner, (source).” Below are some great tips to consider when looking after your home in the summer months:
- Clean and repair deck/patio as needed: Deck and patio spaces are by far some of the most heavily used areas during the hotter summer months. “It generally just needs a good washing. A deck may also need re-staining. Also check for any loose boards or posts and repair as needed, (source).”
- Screens: Screens in windows can help you keep out pests and allow more air flow in your home. “Screen repair tools and kits are available at your local hardware store. It can take a few tries to get doing this right but anyone can learn how especially through Youtube videos and tutorials, (source).”
- Vacation: If you’re planning on vacationing having your home well cared for can reduce the risk of a break in. “Trim hedges that exceed window-height and cut evergreen branches up at least three feet from the ground to eliminate hiding places on your property. General maintenance also decreases the risk of other problems, (source).” Another great idea is to have a friend or family member stop by and keep an eye on your property after you’ve taken the necessary precautions to avoid theft.
- Clean the Garage: Cleaning the garage should be a summer ritual for everyone. “Keeping it clean and tidy will extend its life, and it often gets neglected of regular care. With all the extra dust it gets from the manly projects you’re working on, you should actually clean it even more, (source).” By doing this at least once a year pests and excess junk can be avoided
- Garden: and tidy during the summer is essential to maintaining an unruly garden. “A great water conservation technique in summer is to still cut grass frequently but cut it a little longer. This provides more shade for the roots which helps to keep them from drying out as quickly, (source).” Summer is also a great time to prune your trees and check for any rot or damage as well.
Overall by maintaining the exterior and yard of your home throughout the summer can really set you up right for the fall and colder months ahead. Keeping your home consistently well kept can also be a great advantage when thinking of selling. Contact us for more tips to make your home more appealing!