Home Maintenance Tips
Posted by The Garman Team on
1. Test your garage door opener monthly to ensure that it reverses when it hits an obstruction or when its sensor beam is interrupted.
2. Vacuum the clothes dryer's exhaust duct at least once a year. If the duct is plastic, replace it, as it is a fire hazard.
3. Replace furnace filters quarterly, or as recommended by the furnace manufacturer.
4. Test all GFCI outlets monthly. Press the test button and use a voltage tester to make sure the power goes off.
5. Vacuum the refrigerator coils underneath the appliance at least once a year.
6. Have the fireplace chimney inspected and cleaned annually.
7. Inspect window and door caulking and weather stripping at least once a year.
8. Replace the batteries in smoke detectors annually. Even recent hard-wired smoke detectors have backup batteries that must be replaced.
These low-cost proactive steps will help minimize issues with your home and keep you and your family safe and sound!